334 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. 11746. b ONE of the most important events in the annals of Edinburgh was the erection of the North Bridge, by means of which, in spite of years of opposition, the long-suggested plan for having a his just and honourable cause.’’ His wife pleaded for his pardon at the feet of George 11. in vain, and, like the others, “he died with his last breath imploring a blessing on Prince Charles.” Lord Arundel of Wardour relates the following anecdote :-“ Many years after the Stuart rising, the Duke of Cumberland being present at a ball at Bath, indicated as a person with whom he would like to dance, a beautiful girl, the daughter of Major Macdonald who was executed at Carlisle, and the circumstances of whose last moments supplied Sir Walter Scott with the incidents of M‘Ivor‘s execution in ‘ Waverley.’ The lady rose in deference to the prince, but replied in a tone which utterly discomfited his Royal Highness, ‘ NO, sir, I will never dance with the murderer yf my father/ ’ ” The Duke, with an army overwhelming in numbers, as contrasted with that of Charles, passed through Edinburgh on the ~ 1 s t of February, 1746, not marching at the head of his troops, like the latter, but travelling in a coach-and-six presented to him by the Earl of Hopetoun; and on being joined by 6,000 Hessians, who landed under the Landgrave at Leith, he proceeded to obliterate “ all memory of the last disagreeable affair ” as the rout at Falkirk was named. As he passed up the Canongate and High Street he is said to have expressed great surprise at the .number of broken windows he saw ; but when informed that this was the result of a recent illumination in his honour, and that a shattered casement indicated the residence of a Jacobite, he laughed heartily, remarking, “that he was better content with this explanation, ill as it omened to himself and his family, than he could have been with his first impression, which ascribed the circumstance to poverty or negligence.” A vast mob followed his coach, which passed through the Grassmarket, and quitted the city by new and enlarged city, beyond the walls an& barriers of the old one, was eventually and successfully developed to an extent far beyond what its enthusiastic and patriotic projectors caul$. the West Port, en route to Culloden, and “at midnight on Saturday the 19th of April Viscount Bury, colonel of the 20th Regiment, aide-de-camp. to the Duke of Cumberland, reined up his jaded horse at the Castle gate, bearer of a despatch t e the Lieutenant-General, announcing the victory ;. and at two o’clock on the morning of Sunday a. salute from the batteries informed the startled and anxious citizens that, quenched in blood on the. Muir of Drummossie, the star of the Stuarts had sunk for ever.” The standard of Charles, which Tullybardine. unfurled in Glenfinnan, and thirteen others belonging to chiefs, with several pieces of artillery and a quantity of arms, were brought to the Castle and lodged in the arsenal, where some of the latter still remain; and one field-piece, which was placed on abattery to the westward, was long an object of interest to the people. With a spite that seems. childish now, by order of Cumberland those standards, whose insignia were all significant ot high descent and old achievement, were camed ia procession to the Cross. The common hangmall. bore that of Charles, thirteen Tronmen, or sweeps,. bore the rest, and all were flung into a fire, guarded by the 44th Regiment, while the heralds proclaimed the name of each chief to whom they belonged-hchiel, Clanranald, Keppoch, Glengarry, and so forth ; while the crowd looked on in silence. By this proceeding, so petty in its character, Cumberland failed alike to inflict an injuryon the character of the chiefs or their faithful followers, among whom, at that dire time, the bayonet, the gibbet, the torch, and the axe, were everywhere at work; and, when we consider his. blighted life and reputation in the long years that followed, it seems that it would have been well had the Young Chevalier, the “bonnie Prince Charlie ” of so much idolatry, found his grave on the Moor of Culloden. . .
North Bridge.] JOHN EARL OF MAR. 335 have foreseen; we say long-suggested, for, though not carried out till the early years of George 111.’~ reign, it had been projected in the latter end of the reign of Charles 11. The idea was first suggested when James VII., as Duke of Albany and York, was resident Royal Commissioner at Holyrood, in the zenith of the only popularity he ever had in Scotland. Vast numbers of the Scottish nobility and gentry flocked .around him, and the old people of the middle of xhe eighteenth century used to recall with delight the magnificence and brilliance of the court he gathered in the long-deserted palace, and the general air of satisfaction which pervaded the entire city. Despite the recent turmoils and sufferings consequent on the barbarous severity with which the Covenanters had been treated, Edinburgh was prosperous, and its magistrates bestowed noble presents upon their royal guest; but the best proof of the city’s prosperity was the new and then startling idea s f having an extended royalty and a North Bridge, ;and this idea the Duke of Albany warmly patronised and encouraged, and towards it gave the citizens a grant in the following terms :- “That, when they should have occasion to enlarge their city by purchasing ground without tthe town, or to build bridges or arches for the accomplishing of the same, not only were the propietors of such lands obliged to part With the same an reasonable terms, but when in possession thereof, they are to be erected into a regality in favour of the citizens ; and after finishing the Canongate church, the city is to have the surplus of the 20,ooo merks given by Thomas Moodie, in the year 1649, with the interest thereof; and as all public streets belong to the king, the vaults and cellars under those of Edinburgh being forfeited to the Crown, by their being built without leave or consent of his majesty, he granted all the said vaults or cellars to the town, together with a power to oblige the proprietors of houses, to lay before their. respective tenements large flat stones for the conveniency of walking.” James VII. had fully at heart the good of Edinburgh, and but for the events of the Revolution the improvements of the city would have commenced seventy-two years sooner than they did, but the neglect of subsequent monarchs fell heavily alike on the capital and the kingdom. “Unfortunately,” . :says Robert Chambers, “the advantages which Edinburgh enjoyed under this system of things were destined to be of short duration. Her royal :guest departed, with all his family and retinue, in May, 1682. In six years more he was lost both :o Edinburgh and Britain; and ‘a stranger filled :he Stuart’s throne,’ under whose dynasty Scotland ?ined long in undeserved reprobation.” The desertion of the city consequent on the Union made all prospect of progress seem hopeless, yet some there were who never forgot the cherished idea of an extended royalty. Among various plans, the most remarkable for its foresight was that 3f John eighteenth Lord Erskine and eleventh Earl of Mar, who was exiled for his share in the insurrection of I 7 I 5. His sole amusement during the years of the long exile in which he died at Aix-la-Chapelle in 1732 was to draw plans and designs for the good of his beloved native country and its capital; and the paper to which we refer is one written by him in 1725, and mentioned in vol. 8 of the “Old Statistical Account of Scotland,” published in 1793. “All ways of improving Edinburgh should be thought on : as in particular, making a Zarge bridge flfhree arch, over the ground betwixt the North Loch and Physic Gardens, from the High Street at Liberton’s Wynd to the Multersey Hill, where many fine streets might be built, as the inhabitants increased. The access to them would be easy on all hands, and the situation would be agreeable and convenient, having a noble prospect of all the fine ground towards the sea, the Firth of Forth, and coast of Fife. One long street in a straight line, where the Long Gate is now (Princes Street?) ; on one side of it would be a fine opportunity for gardens down to the North Loch, and one, on the other side, towards Broughton. No houses to be on the bridge, the breadth of the North Loch ; but selling the places or the ends for houses, and the vaults and arches below for warehouses and cellars, the charge of the bridge might be defrayed. “ Another bridge might also be made on the other side of the towq, and almost as useful and commodious as that on the north. The place where it could most easily be made is St. Mary‘s Wynd, and the Pleasance. The hollow there is not so deep, as where the other bridge is proposed, so that it is thought that two storeys of arches might raise it near the level with the street at the head of St. Mary’s Wynd. Betwixt the south end of the Pleasance and the Potter-row, and from thence to Bristo Street, and by the back of the wall at Heriot‘s Hospital, are fine situations for houses and gardens. There would be fine avenues to the town, and outlets for airing and walking by these bridges ; and Edinburgh, from being a bad incommodious situation, would become a very beneficial and convenient one ; and to make it still more so, a branch of that river, called the Water of Leith, misht, it is thought, be brought