212 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH, [Manor Place veins, and k placed on a pedestal of three steps; the basin, which is supported by four red marble columns, shows in carved panels round its sides the ark, dove, fishes, and a floriated cross. The cathedraL before its comDletion, was opened streets. In attendance .upon the bishop were the Lord Provost, Lord Teignnlouth, and others, The senior and junior chaplains of the cathedral, together with the clerk of works, ascended the spire to place the stone and cross in position with for service on ;he 25th of JaAuary, 1879, by the I certain religious rites-from its vast height a some- ST. MARY’S CATHEDRAL, EXTERIOR VIEW. Right Rev. Henry Cotterill, Episcopal bishop of Edinburgh, in presence of a great congregafion assembled in the nave, and consecrated 30th October, 1879. On the 9th of June, 1879, the copestone and finial cross of the great central spire were placed in position with befitting ceremony, in presence of a vast assemblage of ladies and gentlemen in the cathedral grounds, and even in the adjacent what perilous and difficult task for these gentlemen to undertake. They spread the mortar, and the copestone and cross, which were fifteen feet in height and about a ton in weight, were lowered into position by tackle; the Rev. Mr. Meredith tapped them with a niallet and declared them to have been duly laid “in the name of the Slessed Trinity.” The company aloft then joined in the doxology.
Manor Place.] HAYMARKET STATION. 213 A shot fired from the belfry apprised the multi- &de far down below of the close of the ceremony, and immediately the choir, along with other officials of ‘the church in surplices stationed in the garden, sung the hymn “Praise ye the Lord, ye Heavens in the nave and clerestory bear the arms of many ancient Scottish families, Away to the westward of the quarter we have described, at the delta of the old Glasgow and Dalry roads, where for several generations stood ST. MAPY7S CATHEDRAL, INTERIOR VIEW. (Fpom a Phofosrnph by G. W. Wikm ad Co., ACrdem.) by the Lord Provost. Sir Gilbert Scott did not live to see the completion of this cathedral, which is one of the many lasting monuments of his skill as an architect. Among the gifts to the cathedral are a peal of ten bells presented by Dean Montgomery ; the great from Glasgow by wings upon the two roads, formed a junction and halted, while the officers had breakfast or dinner before pushing on to the Castle by the Lang Dykes and latterly by Princes Street and , the Earthern Mound-is the Haymarket Railway Station, the first or original terminus of the Edin