OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH [The Meadows. 348 damp and melancholy place, even in summer, though much frequented as a public walk. The western end obtains still the name of Hope Park, and a more modern street close by bears the name of his Fifeshire estate-Bankeillor-now passed to another family. Among these Improvers were the Earls of Stair, Islay, and Hopetoun, the Lords Cathcart and Drummore, with Dalrymple of Cousland and Cockburn of Ormiston. Lord Stair was the first to raise turnips end of the central walk, and a little, but once famous, cottage and stable, where asses’ milk was sold, long disfigured the upper walk at Teviot Row. A few old-fashioned villas were on the south side of the Meadows ; in one of these, in 1784, dwelt Archibald Cockburn, High Judge Admiral of Scotland No. 6 Meadow Place was long the residence of David Irving, LL.D., author of “ The Lives of the Scottish Poets” and other works, librarian to the Faculty of Advocates; and in Warrender THE MEADOWS, ABOUT 1810. (From a Pdntingim fheposscssim of Dr. 7. A. Sidey.) in the open fields, and so laid the foundation of the most important branch of the store-husbandry of modem times. The Meadows were longa fashionable promenade. “There has never in my life,” says Lord Cockbum, “ been any single place in or near Edinburgh which has so distinctly been the resort at once of our philosophy and our fashion. Under these poor trees walked, and talked, and meditated, all our literary and scientific, and many of our legal, worthies of the last and beginning of the present century.” They still form the shooting ground of the Royal Company of Archers. A species of ornamental arbour, called “The Cage,” stoodlong at the south Lodge, Meadow Place, ’lived and died James Ballantine, the genial author of “ The Gaberlunzie’s Wallet and other works of local notoriety, but more especially a volume of one hundred songs, with music, many of which are deservedly popular. Celebrated in his own profession as a glass-stainer, he was employed by the Royal Commissioners on the Fine Arts, to execute the stained glass windows for the House of Lords at Westminster. Now the once sequestered Meadows, save on the southern quarter, which is open to Bruntsfield Links, are well-nigh completely encircled by new lines of streets and terraces, and are further intersected by the fine modem drive named from Sir 1 John Melville, who was Lord Provost in 1854-9.
349 Hope Pukl “THE DOUGLAS CAUSE.” THE BURGH LOCH.. (Aftw a Plwtagrajh o f t h OnginaZ, bypermission of thc M e m k t Company of Edidu&.l CHAPTER XLI. HOPE PARK END. “The Douglas Cause,” or Story of Lady Jane Douglas-Stewart-Hugh Lord Semplc-“ The Chevalier“-The Archers’ Hall-Royal Company of Archers formed-Their Tacobitism-Their Colours-hrlv Parades-Constitution and Admission-Their Hall built-Mwrs. Nelsond Establishment-Thomas Nelson. HOPE PARK END is the name of a somewhat humble cluster of unpretending houses which sprang up at the east end of the Meadows ; but the actual villa latterly called Hope Park was built on the south bank of the former loch, “immediately eastward of the Meadow Cage,” as it is described in the prints of 1822. In character Hope Park End has been improved by the erection of Hope Park Crescent and Terrace, with the U. P. church in their vicinity; but when its only adjuncts were the Burgh Loch Brewery, the dingy edifices known as Gifford Park, and an old house of the sixteenth century, pulled down by the Messrs. Nelson, it was a somewhat sombre locality. Another old house near the Archers’ Hall showed on the lintel of its round turnpike stair the date 1704, and the initials AB -J.L. ; but in which old mansion in this quarter the celebrated and unfortunate Lady Jane Douglas- Stewart resided we have no means of ascertaining, or whether before or after she occupied z garret in the East Cross Causeway, and only know from her letters that she lived here during a portion of the time (1753) when her long vexed case was disputed in Scotland and in England. Having referred to this case so often, it is necessary, even for Edinburgh readers, to say something of what it was-one in which the famous toady Boswell, though little inclined to exaggeration, is reported by Sir Walter Scott to have been so ardent a partisan that he headed a mob which smashed the windows of the adverse judges of the Court of Session, when, ‘‘ For Douglas or Hamilton? ” was the question men asked each other in the streets, at night, and swords instantly drawn if opinions were hostile j for “ the Douglas cause,” as Scott says, “shook the security of birthright in Scotland, and was a cause which, had it happened before the Union, when there was no appeal to a