Old and New Edinburgh

Old and New Edinburgh

Volume VI

Volume 6 Page 315
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures
OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. Scotland. But it does not appear that any of this family ever sat in Parliament. The title is supposed to be extinct, though a claim was advanced to it recently. The parish church is cruciform, and was erected Cromwell, as a commissioner for forfeited estates, in 1654. In 1795 there was interred here William Davidson, of Muirhouse, who died in his 8Ist year, and was long known as one of the most eminent of OLD CRAMOND BRIG. in 1656, and is in the plain and tasteless style of the period. On the north side of it is a mural tamb, inscribed-" HERE LYES THE BODY OF SIR JAMES HOPE, OF HOPETOW, WHO DECEASED ANNO 1661." It bears his arms and likeness, cut in bold relief. He was the fourth son of Sir Thomas Hope, of Craighall, was a famous alchemist in his time, and the first who brought the art of mining to any perfection in Scotland. He was a senator of the College of Justice, and was in league with Scottish merchants at Rotterdam, where he amassed a fortune, and purchased the barony of Muirhouse in 1776. Among the many fine mansions here perhaps the most prominent is the modem oiie of Barnton, erected on the site of an old fortalice, and on rising ground, amid a magnificently-wooded park 400 acres in extent, Barnton House was of old called Crainond [email protected], as it was once a royal hunting seat, and in a charter of Muirhouse, granted by
Volume 6 Page 316
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures