farswade.] CAPTAIN PHILIP LOCKHART. 357 was shot, and the other two performed the like to his body ;‘then they were shot, and laid together, without a coffin, in a pit digged for the purpose. Which tragical scene being thus finished, Mr. Nairne and Mr. Lockhart were decently buried.’’ (“ Letter to a friend in the king’s camp,” Perth, Count Lockhart was succeeded by his son 1 7 1 5 ) turesqueness and romance to any in Scotland. The river seems all the way to be merrily frdicsome, and rushing along a shelving gradient, now hiding itself behind rocks and weeping wood, and making sudden, but always mirthful, transitions in its moods.” A few ancient and many modem mansions and villas stud the banks of the glen above the ancient ROSLIN CHAPEL :-INTERIOR. (A/& a Phtograph 6y G. W. Wiison & Co.) Charles. In the early years of the present century, Dryden was the property of George Mercer, a son of Mercer of Pittuchar, in Perthshire. In this quarter, on the north bank of the Esk, are the church and village of Lasswade, amid scenery remarkable for its varied beauty. The bed of the Esk lies through a deep, singularly romantic, long, and bold ravine, always steep, sometimes perpendicular and overhanging, and everywhere covered with the richest copsewood. ‘‘ Recesses, contractions, irregularities, rapid and circling sinuosities, combine with the remarkably varied surface of its sides, to render its scenery equal in mingled picvillage of Lasswade, whose bridge spans the river, and the name of which Chalmers, in his ‘‘Caledonia,’’ believes to be derived from a ‘‘ well-watered pasturage of common use, or Zaeswc, in Saxon a common, and iueyde, a meadow.” In an old Dutch map it is spelt Lesserwade, supposed to mean the opposite of Legenvood-the smaller wood in contrast to some greater one. The parish of Melville was added to that of Lasswade in 1633. In the time of James 111. the ancient Church of Lasswade was, by the Pope’s authority, detached from St. Salvador’s College at St Andrews, to .
- which it belonged, and annexed to Restalrig. It stood on high ground, where its ancient square belfry tower, four storeys in height, was a very conspicuous object among a group of old trees, long after the church itself bad passed away, till it was blown down by a storm in November, 1866. The effigy of a knight, with hands clasped, in a full suit of armour, lay amid the foundations of the old church as lately as 1855. Tradition avers the tower had been occasionally Great quantities of fruit, vegetables, and daily produce are furnished by Lasswade for the city markets. Save where some primitive rocks rise up in the Pentland quarter of the parish, the whole of its area lies upon the various secondary formations, including sandstone, clays of several kinds, and a great number of distinct coal-seams, with their strata of limestone. On the western side of the Esk the metals stand much on edge, having a dip of 6 5 O in some the manse previously in 1.789, In the burying-ground are interred the first Lord Melville and his successors. Lasswade has long been celebrated for the excellence of its oatmeal, the reputation of which, through Lord Melville, reached George 111. and Queen Charlotte, whose family were breakfasted upon it during childhood, the meal being duly ‘ sent to the royal household by a miller of the village, named Mutter. surmounted its west gable. The vault, or tomb, hundred and seventy feet. On the eastern side of the Esk the metals have a dip so small-amounting to only I in 7 or 8 -that the coal seams, in contradistinction to the edge-coals, as they are called on the west side, have obtained the name of “flat broad coals.” One of the mines on the boundary of Liberton was ignited by accident about the year 1770, and for upwards of twenty years resisted fiercely every effort made to extinguish its fire. Besides furable coal seams are twenty-five in number, an8