Old and New Edinburgh

Old and New Edinburgh

Volume VI

Leith.] THE KING'S WARK. 237 ~ Arnot adds. It was to keep one of the cellars in the King's Wark in repair, for holding wines and other provisions for the king's use. This Bernard Lindsay it was whom Taylor mentions in his '' Penniless Pilgrimage " as having Moreover, the King's Wark was placed most advantageously at the mouth of the harbour, to serve as -a defence against any enemy who might approach it from the seaward. It thus partook somewhat of the character of a citadel; and this BERNARD STREET. given him so warm a welcome at Leith in 1618. That some funds were derivable from the King's Wark to the Crown is proved by the frequent payments with which it was burdened by several of our monarchs. Thus, in the year 1477 James 111. granted out of it a perpetual annuity of twelve marks Scots, for support of a chaplain to officiate at the altar of c'the upper chapel in the collegiate church of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Restalrig." seems to have been implied by the infeftment granted by Queen Mary in 1564 to John Chisho!ia, Master or Comptroller of the Royal Artillery, who would appear to have repaired the buildings which, no doubt, shared in the general conflagrations that signalised the English invasions of 1544 and 1547. and the queen, on the completion of his work, thus confirms her grant to the comptroller :- U Efter Her Heinis lauchful age, and revocation made in parIiament, hir majestie sett in feu farme
Volume 6 Page 237
  Enlarge Enlarge     Pictures Pictures
Volume 6 Page 238
  Enlarge Enlarge